Tumor of the beta cells of the pancreas
- secretes insulin
- Normally beta cells secrete insulin in response to high glucose in the blood stream.
- Diagnosis is made with blood tests of low blood glucose, elevated insulin, and elevated proinsulin and C-peptide levels.
- Steve Jobs of Apple died of Metastatic Insulinoma.
- rarely malignant, metastasis and primary usually present concomitantly.
- finding insulinoma near the pancreatic duct – this insulinoma might be malignant
Whipples Triad suggests insulinoma
- Symptoms of Hypoglycemia
- Low plasma glucose
- Relief of symptoms when glucose is raised to normal