- Sandostatin is the brand name – by Novartis
- Mimics natural somatostatin pharmacologically
- But is more potent inhibitor of growth hormone, glucagon, and insulin than somatostatin.
- May be considered a treatment in carcinoid syndrome.
- The prophylactic use of perioperative octreotide does not reduce the incidence of pancreatic fistula or complications after pancreaticoduodenectomy (Whipple). Reference: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1421155/ – article from the year 2000: Does Prophylactic Octreotide Decrease the Rates of Pancreatic Fistula and Other Complications After Pancreaticoduodenectomy?